Tuesday, July 8, 2014

EDUC 7730 Thoughts on my own ePortfolio





After learning more about eportfolios and what they entail I realized that I should consider a number 
of factors when making my own. The first would be: who is my intended audience ?  Then, what work do I want to showcase ? Lastly, how should I design or set-up the artifacts that will be included in the ePortfolio.  In my portfolio  I would like to show: the work that I have done in my IT&DML program, the work I have done in school that is related to technology & other STEM content areas, and possibly have it serve as a marketing vehicle for future employment using what skills and knowledge I have learned. I also want it to look aesthetically pleasing, makes sense, and include the appropriate and related artifacts and reflections.

I did like the way Integrative Knowledge Portfolio makes suggestions for ePortfolios (see below). I plan to use and or modify some of these to meet my ePortfolio goals and message.

What does a completed Integrative Knowledge Portfolio  look like?
A completed Integrative Knowledge Portfolio has the following sections and pages:

A Work Showcase – highlights a series of Knowledge Synthesis pages that illustrate how a
student weaves together the knowledge, skills and insights gained from key learning
experiences in life. Each experience is organized into a larger knowledge/skill category which
serves as the table of contents for the Work Showcase.

A Philosophy Statement page - demonstrates a student’s ability to retrieve and articulate the
specific values, commitments, capacities and sources of inspiration that underlie his/her work

A Goals page - illustrates a student’s ability to imagine and articulate an overarching sense of
direction or purpose for work and life as a result of participation in the IKPP.

A Welcome page - demonstrates a student’s ability to capture a readers’ interest and succinctly
introduce his/her portfolio

A Resume page - shows that the student is capable of presenting their experiences in a traditional format.

I also liked their list of essential questions and the outcome or what students learn from the process Integrative Portfolio Process (MPortfolio - University of Michigan) These questions and outcomes help guide students through the process of creating and curating their personal ePortfolio.
The Integrative Knowledge Portfolio Process encourages students to ask questions essential for leadership and lifelong learning:
  • Who am I becoming?
  • What am I learning?
  • What knowledge, skills and strengths am I developing?
  • What can I do?
  • How will I make a difference?
The portfolio process helps students approach problems strategically and collaboratively. Students learn to:
  • Connect knowledge gained from real-life experiences and from academic courses
  • Reflect on learning that has occurred both within and beyond the classroom
  • Develop the knowledge, skills and awareness needed for professional competence and leadership
  • Connect learning with personal values, a sense of purpose and goals for the future

Tonight in class, after I collaborate with my classmates, I believe I will have an even better perspective on ePortfolios and what I would like to include in my own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment